Low Carb Sloppy Joes
There's just something about Sloppy Joes that puts a smile on faces whenever I make them. Maybe it's the aroma of the thick rich sauce, slightly sweet, smoky and peppery that gets mouths watering and looking forward to dinner. Maybe it's the anticipated joy of comfort food or just sitting down to a belly-warming meal. Whatever it is, Sloppy Joes rule in my house!
Several years ago I wanted to master a low-carb version of the Sloppy Joe. The original family recipe was loaded with ketchup and brown sugar (yeah, I was a child of the 80's) and NOT on program.
I needed to recreate the same warm, rich, thick flavor without all the sugar and the processed garbage. The end result is a recipe I am proud to bring to all my low-carb recipe lovers- one that will put a smile on your face and on your scale.
There are so many ways to enjoy this without the big old high-carb bun!
Over zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice
On a Salad
Baked in a half of a green pepper cup
Scoop with raw green pepper "chips"
Stuff in a low carb wrap, egg white wrap or cheese wrap (if on 5&1 check guidelines)Serve over spaghetti squash
Stuff in lettuce cups
Give this delicious, whole food based dinner a try and see why it has become a family favorite in my house for years (and a favorite of mine to cook!) I can see your comfort food smile from here!
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 C diced green bell pepper
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
1Tablespoon (one Capful) Stacey Hawkins Garlic & Spring Onion Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon (one packet) powdered stevia
- 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1Tablespoon ed wine vinegar
1/2 Tablespoon SH Cinnamon Chipotle Seasoning
- 1 C low sodium beef broth
Stacey Hawkins Dash of Desperation or Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place the ground beef in a frying pan and place on the stove over medium heat. Break up the larger pieces of meat as it is cooking.
- Let the meat cook for about 7 minutes and then add the remaining ingredients (EXCEPT the broth) and stir to combine. Once mixed, add the water and turn up the heat to medium high.
- Once the liquid is boiling, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer, uncovered for about 10-15 minutes until the liquid is somewhat reduced & you have a lovely sauce.
- Serve hot & enjoy!
Recipe Notes & Optavia Counts
Serving Size is 5 ounces of ground beef and pepper mixture & approx. 1 T sauce. Nutrition Information is for beef mixture only.
1 - Lean
1/4 - Green
3 - Condiments
0 - Healthy Fat
The mom-trepreneur FOODIE behind the brand, now 100 pounds lighter.Read stacey’s story