Low Carb Sloppy Joes
There's just something about Sloppy Joes that puts a smile on faces whenever I make them. Maybe it's the aroma of the thick rich sauce, slightly sweet, smoky and peppery that gets mouths watering and looking forward to dinner. Maybe it's the anticipated joy of comfort food or just sitting down to a belly-warming meal. Whatever it is, Sloppy Joes rule in my house!
Several years ago I wanted to master a low-carb version of the Sloppy Joe. The original family recipe was loaded with ketchup and brown sugar (yeah, I was a child of the 80's) and NOT on program.
I needed to recreate the same warm, rich, thick flavor without all the sugar and the processed garbage. The end result is a recipe I am proud to bring to all my low-carb recipe lovers- one that will put a smile on your face and on your scale.
There are so many ways to enjoy this without the big old high-carb bun! Try them:
- Over zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice
- On a Salad
- Baked in a half of a green pepper cup
- Scoop with raw green pepper "chips"
- Stuff in a low carb wrap, egg white wrap or cheese wrap (if on 5&1 check guidelines)
- Serve over spaghetti squash
- Stuff in lettuce cups
Give this delicious, whole food based dinner a try and see why it has become a family favorite in my house for years (and a favorite of mine to cook!) I can see your comfort food smile from here!
Low Carb Sloppy Joes
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Total Time: 30 Minutes
Servings: ~4 Serving
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 C diced green bell pepper
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon (one packet) powdered stevia
- 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1Tablespoon (one Capful) Stacey Hawkins Garlic & Spring Onion Seasoning or salt, pepper, crushed garlic, garlic powder and onion to taste
- 1/2 Tablespoon Stacey Hawkins Cinnamon Chipotle Seasoning or ground cinnamon, chipotle paste and garlic
- 1Tablespoon ed wine vinegar
- 1 C low sodium beef broth
- Stacey Hawkins Dash of Desperation or Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place the ground beef in a frying pan and place on the stove over medium heat. Break up the larger pieces of meat as it is cooking.
- Let the meat cook for about 7 minutes and then add the remaining ingredients (EXCEPT the broth) and stir to combine. Once mixed, add the water and turn up the heat to medium high.
- Once the liquid is boiling, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer, uncovered for about 10-15 minutes until the liquid is somewhat reduced & you have a lovely sauce.
- Serve hot & enjoy!
Serving Size is 5 ounces of ground beef and pepper mixture & approx 1 T sauce. Nutrition Information is for beef mixture only.
Are you on Optavia 5&1 and Stressing? Please stop worrying... I've got your back!
No more guesswork, no counting Leans and Greens and no more worrying about what to eat. Ever.
Stacey's helped THOUSANDS learn the secret to making ridiculously delicious meals that comply with program and KEEP THE WEIGHT OFF FOREVER!
Nutritional Data Information:
This website is written and produced for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and the nutritional data on this site has not been evaluated or approved by a nutritionist or the Food and Drug Administration. Nutritional information is offered as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guaran- tee. The data is calculated through an online nutritional calculator, Very Well Fit. Although I do my best to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates only. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe. Furthermore, different online calculators provide different results depending on their own nutrition fact sources and algorithms. To obtain the most accurate nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator.