Stacey Hawkins, the Queen of Lean and Green Recipes makes Tex-Mex Turkey Stuffed Poblanos. This low-carb recipe is an Optavia Recipe, Optavia 5 and 1 recipe and complies with most low carb diets. Eat great and lose the weight!
Tex-Mex Turkey Stuffed Poblanos
Ground turkey is a great alternative to ground beef in many recipes. While it is a great low-fat substitution and high in protein (perfect for low carb recipes and Lean and Green Recipes) it lacks flavor and can be dry if not cooked properly.
This week's recipe solves both of those problems and results in a dish that is moist, juicy and full of incredible flavor. Tex-Mex Turkey Stuffed Poblano Peppers are a perfect quick and easy Lean and Green Recipe for a weeknight meal.
You can also prep these ahead of time and put in the fridge until ready to heat. If you meal prep, this is one for the keeping for sure! Making a double batch of these at the beginning of the week makes for great lunches as well. As an extra benefit, you can freeze the leftovers individually and pop in the microwave at a later date. Cook once and eat many times.
- 2 pounds ground turkey, 98% lean
- 2 large poblano peppers (or bell peppers) cut in half lengthwise and seeds removed
- 1 C reduced fat extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (divided)*
- 8 T sour cream
1 T (one capful) Stacey Hawkins Southwestern Seasoning
- fresh cilantro and/or sliced jalapenos for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a casserole dish large enough to hold the pepper halves with nonstick cooking spray and place the peppers, cut side up into the dish. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While peppers are cooking, add the Roasted Garlic Oil to a large skillet and heat over medium high heat.
- Add turkey to the pan and sprinkle with the seasoning. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until turkey is browned.
- Remove meat from the heat and stir in 1/2 C of the cheddar cheese.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and place equal portions of the meat into the pepper halves. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake until poblanos are tender and cheese is melted, about 5-7 additional minutes.
- Drizzle 2 T of sour cream over each pepper and sprinkle with cilantro and/or jalapenos if desired.
Recipe Notes & Optavia Counts
Serving Size is 7 ounces of turkey and 1/2 pepper.
0 - Lean
0 - Leaner
1 - Leanest
1 - Green
3 - Condiments
2 - Healthy Fat
*You may use different cheeses here as well. For example, 1/2 C cheddar in the turkey and 1/2 C Mexican white cheese (like queso fresco) can be used instead.
The mom-trepreneur behind the brand, now 100 pounds lighter.
After losing 100 pounds as a foodie who REFUSED to give up really great tasting meals, Stacey now shares her products, recipes and methods to make delicious foods that get results! Whether you're looking to lose a few pounds, or just get a healthful dinner on the table every night, Stacey's products, recipes and meal making systems make it deliciously EASY to Make a Better Meal & Live a Better Life, no matter WHAT your diet!