What do you get when you combine scallops, asparagus, mushrooms and little mascarpone? Low carb, Lean and Green Magic!!! Scallops Mascarpone has got to be one of the easiest and most flavorful recipes, ever. With minimal ingredients, it's going to make your mouth (and your scale) super happy too. Mascarpone you say? Isn't that for desserts like Tiramisu?? And it's OK to use on program? Allow me to explain.
Mascarpone is basically heavy cream that has had all the liquid (whey) removed from it (usually by adding some acid like lemon juice). Basically Mascarpone is to heavy cream what Greek yogurt is to regular yogurt. There's no added sugar to it out of the container, so... it's basically equivalent to a fat. If you're on Optavia 5&1 we count it as a fat and measure it the same as butter.
Some places call it mascarpone cheese, others mascarpone cream. Whatever you want to call it, we call it delicious. When added at the end, it makes a thick, delicious sauce that has amazing mouth-feel to it. Creamy, rich and decadent, your eyes will roll and your stomach will do back flips! I promise.
There are a few simple tricks of the trade with this recipe:
*Use dry sea scallops (ask the fishmonger) AND pat them with a paper towel before cooking. Excess moisture keeps them from browning.
*Careful not to overcook. You'll want to and not believe the scallops and veggies will be done that quickly, but they will!
*High heat is key.
I'll confess that this dish disappeared to RAVE reviews in my house, and I can promise, if you like scallops, you'll have the same results! If you don't like scallops, or asparagus, feel free to mix it up! This would be equally as delicious with shrimp, thin sliced chicken (more cooking time though!) or even thin sliced pork. Change up the veggies too! Thin green beans would make a great substitution in this case. 😊
Whether you're cooking it just for yourself or the family, I promise this is one that people are going to adore. You can keep it a secret as to just how EASY it is and take all the kudos of a meal well done. Enjoy the flavors, AND the results!
- 1 3/4 pounds large, dry scallops
- nonstick cooking spray
- 6 ounces (2 Cups) wild mushrooms, any variety
- 1/2 C chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 pound (4 Cups) raw asparagus spears, trimmed & cut in half (weigh after trimming)
- 4 Tablespoons Mascarpone
- Spray a nonstick pan with nonstick spray and heat over high heat.
- Pat the scallops dry and add to the pan. Let them sit there, on high heat for a good 4-5 minutes until nice and browned on one side.
Using tongs, flip the scallops over. Add the mushrooms and sauté for one minute.
- Add the asparagus to the pan in one layer.
- Sprinkle the Garlic & Spring Onion over everything in the pan. Add the broth and then place a lid on the pan. Bring it to a simmer (2 minutes) and then remove the lid. Reduce liquid by half.
- Stir in the mascarpone (add 4 tablespoons over the pan, not all in one lump for better distribution).
- When melted, remove from the heat and serve immediately.
Recipe Notes & Optavia Counts
Serving Size is 1/4 of this dish.
0 - Lean
0 - Leaner
1 - Leanest
3 - Green
2 - Condiments
2 - Healthy Fat
The mom-trepreneur FOODIE behind the brand, now 100 pounds lighter.Read stacey’s story