Philly Cheesesteak Skillet a Lean and Green Recipe
Who doesn't love cheesesteak? A decadent quick and easy lean and green recipe, who would think this would be a healthy dinner, low carb meal or friendly to those in need of Optavia 5&1 recipes? Well, Stacey Hawkins does!
Welcome to the Wow!d version of the recipe that has taken the internet by storm. This easy and super delicious recipe gives you all the taste of a decadent Philly Cheesesteak (and Stacey should know- her son Chase lives in Philly and was the official taste-tester for this recipe!) but without the heavy carbs associated with the original.
Lean and Green and delicious. Just the way you love it.
This one is a real winner and with only a handful of ingredients, I know you AND your family will find it a winner as well.
- Nonstick cooking spray
1 teaspoon Stacey Hawkins Dash of Desperation Seasoning
1 1/2 lbs. skirt steak (or flank steak) sliced super thin*
- 1/2 C sliced scallions (or green onion) - approximately 1 ounce
1 Tablespoon Stacey Hawkins Garlic and Spring Onion Seasoning
- 1/3 C beef broth (regular or low sodium)
- 2 cups sliced peppers- can be assorted colors - approximately 6.5 ounces
- 1 cups sliced white mushrooms- - approximately 2.5 ounces**
8 Tablespoons (approx. 4 ounces) reduced fat provolone cheese, shredded
Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Spray a large, oven-safe pan with nonstick spray and heat over high heat. If you have a cast iron skillet, this is the PERFECT place to use it!
- While heating, sprinkle sliced steak with Dash of Desperation Seasoning.
- Place steak in the pan and cook for 2-4 minutes on two sides until well browned. Remove the beef from the pan and place in a covered bowl to keep warm while cooking vegetables.
- Place the pan back on the stove and reduce heat to medium high. Add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes until browned. Place onions in the bowl with the beef and cover to keep warm.
Using the same skillet, add the broth to the pan and then add the peppers & mushrooms and Garlic Spring Onion seasoning. Sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Peppers should be slightly browned.
- Turn off the heat on the stove and add the beef mixture back to the skillet. Gently stir to incorporate beef & vegetables together.
- Sprinkle the beef in the skillet with cheese.
Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 5 minutes until cheese melts.
Recipe Notes & Optavia Counts
Serving Size is 1/4 of this entire dish (approx. 5 ounces of beef, 1 1/2 cups of vegetables).
*To slice the steak super thin, wrap it in plastic wrap and freeze for 10 minutes. Semi-frozen steak is REALLY easy to cut thinly. And to make it even more tender, slice it across the grain.
** Don't like mushrooms? You can omit them and use 3 cups (approx. 10 ounces) of peppers instead for the same lean and green counts. Nutritional facts will vary slightly from what is below, however.
The mom-trepreneur FOODIE behind the brand, now 100 pounds lighter.Read stacey’s story