Pan Seared Beef Tips and Mushrooms
Whaaat? Yes! Once again this week, we take basic ingredients and transform them effortlessly into a thick, rich, low-carb, gourmet meal. You see, you don't have to be a chef or even a whiz in the kitchen to make fabulous food at home.
Beef Tips and Mushrooms are traditionally made from smaller chunks of bigger roasts and can be many kinds of cuts of meat. "Beef Tips" is a generic term and can mean many things, which is great for at-home cooking because it gives us flexibility.
In this case, we take a whole, tender steak and cut it into pieces ourselves. You can also get tips from the butcher, but honestly, you have no idea WHAT is in that package. Yuck.
So... I prefer to cut my own because it is more economical, and I know what cut I am getting. (As a side note, do NOT use stew beef for this dish- only use tender cuts that will cook quickly.)
The browning is KEY to making this recipe as luscious as possible. But just what IS it about browned beef that makes it SO dang tasty?
There's actually some science behind it. Browning occurs because of the Maillard reaction, a chemical reaction where sugars and amino acids in the meat react to the heat and create new, flavorful compounds. (The same reaction occurs when you toast bread.)
Ready to eat? Grab that steak out of your freezer, cut it up, and have at this mouthwatering recipe. I promise it's a winner.
- 1 1/2 lbs lean beef cut into 1" chunks (London broil, filet, strip steak, etc)
1/2 T Stacey Hawkins Dash of Desperation Seasoning (or salt, pepper and garlic)
- nonstick cooking spray
- 4 C mushrooms (either small, whole mushrooms or larger ones cut into quarters)
- 1 C low sodium beef broth
11/2 teaspoons Stacey Hawkins Garlic Gusto
SH Garlic & Spring Onion Seasoning (or fresh garlic, parsley and onion)
- Add beef to a bowl and sprinkle with seasoning. Toss to coat evenly.
- Place a well-seasoned cast iron pan on the stove over high heat. If you do not have one, use a nonstick skillet and spray with nonstick spray.
- Add the beef to the pan in a single layer. Let it cook for 5-7 minutes until a rich, browned crust forms on the meat. Flip the meat to the other side and repeat the process to brown on the other side.
- Remove the meat from the pan and place in a bowl. Cover with a clean kitchen towel to keep warm.
- Turn the heat to medium high and pour in the broth. Use a wooden spoon to scrape all the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the Garlic Gusto seasoning and the mushrooms and let the mixture simmer until it is reduced by half.
- Add the beef back to the pan and toss to coat in the sauce. Serve hot
Recipe Notes & Optavia Counts
Serving Size 5 oz. beef with 1 C mushrooms and 2 T sauce
1 - Lean
0 - Leaner
0 - Leanest
1 - Green
2 - Condiments
0 - Healthy Fat
3 Weight Watchers Points per serving
The mom-trepreneur behind the brand, now 100 pounds lighter.
After losing 100 pounds as a foodie who REFUSED to give up really great tasting meals, Stacey now shares her products, recipes and methods to make delicious foods that get results! Whether you're looking to lose a few pounds, or just get a healthful dinner on the table every night, Stacey's products, recipes and meal making systems make it deliciously EASY to Make a Better Meal & Live a Better Life, no matter WHAT your diet!