Cheesy Chicken Caprese
Well, here we find ourselves, again. Another week, another chicken breast. Another chance to be delighted at how EASY dinner can be! We transform the plain old bland white meat into a succulent, moist, and irresistibly delicious dinner this week. This week we make Cheesy Chicken Caprese!
With only three main ingredients, chicken, tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese, this recipe is quick, easy, and oh-so-delicious. The last few weeks' recipes are not so much WHAT we are making but HOW we are preparing, and cooking makes all the difference.
The dual cooking method of pan-sear combined with finishing in the oven creates tender, juicy, and succulent chicken that everyone will rave about. But the real secret to this dish? Pounding the chicken before you cook it.
The easiest way to do this is with a large plastic bag and a small frying pan. Just place the meat in the bag and give it a good, solid, even WHACK with the bottom of the pan. You'll see how easily it flattens- and evenly as well. I prefer this method to a meat mallet any day as the tiny mallet only hits part of the meat at once, leaving you with uneven results. The frying pan is definitely key.
Making the chicken thinner not only tenderizes it but allows it to cook MUCH faster. Plus, you get the added benefit of a little arm workout and stress relief too!
The end result is oh-so-fabulous. The one-pot meal makes it a winner! Definitely put this one in the rotation this week- I can almost guarantee you've got these basic ingredients on hand.
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 3/8" thickness
4 teaspoons Stacey Hawkins Roasted Garlic Oil (or oil of your choice and fresh garlic)
2 teaspoons Stacey Hawkins Tuscan Fantasy Seasoning
(or garlic, red pepper, black pepper, parsley, onion, garlic powder)
- 1 C chopped tomatoes (can be fresh or canned and well drained)
- 8 Tablespoons (1/2 C) lowfat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- fresh basil for garnish if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pound chicken into 3/8" thickness. The easiest way to do this is to place one breast in a large plastic bag and hit with the back of a small frying pan. Be careful to do this on a cutting board, or other safe surface. You do not want to crack your countertops!
- Add oil to a large, oven-safe frying pan (no plastic handles!) and place over medium-high heat.
- Season each chicken breast with 1/2 teaspoon of Tuscan Fantasy seasoning. When the oil is hot, place chicken in the pan.
- Cook chicken for 5-7 minutes one one side then flip to the other side. Cook an additional 5 minutes more.
- Turn the stove off. Scoop 1/4 C tomatoes on to the top of each chicken breast.
- Sprinkle 2 T mozzarella and an additional pinch of Tuscan Fantasy Seasoning over each chicken breast.
- Place in the oven for 7-10 minutes until chicken is fully cooked and cheese is melty. Verify temp with meat thermometer. Chicken should be 165 degrees F.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh basil or other herbs if desired. Serve hot with your favorite side dish
Recipe Notes & Optavia Counts
Serving Size 6 oz. chicken with 1/4 C tomatoes and 2 T cheese
0 - Lean
1 - Leaner
0 - Leanest
1/2 - Green
3 - Condiments
1 - Healthy Fat
- Serving Size
- per serving
- 7.3 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 1.5 grams
- 119 milligrams
- 259 milligrams
- 1.8 grams
- .5 grams
- 1.2 grams
- 43.5 grams
The mom-trepreneur behind the brand, now 100 pounds lighter.
After losing 100 pounds as a foodie who REFUSED to give up really great tasting meals, Stacey now shares her products, recipes and methods to make delicious foods that get results! Whether you're looking to lose a few pounds, or just get a healthful dinner on the table every night, Stacey's products, recipes and meal making systems make it deliciously EASY to Make a Better Meal & Live a Better Life, no matter WHAT your diet!