Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms - a LBD LG Recipe
Chances are good, if you're a woman, you are familiar with the acronym LBD or Little Black Dress. LBD"s are a staple in the wardrobe because you can do SO many different things with them to change them up. They're fun AND practical AND often come in handy in a pinch. So what does a Little Black Dress (LBD) have to do with dinner?
Much like a LBD, you can take some basic recipes and change them up in a million different ways as well. Simply by changing the seasoning, the meat, the sauce or toppings, you can take an LBD recipe and transform it into whatever you need (or using whatever you have on hand.)
In difficult times, it's important to be flexible and use what we have on hand to make tasty and delicious meals. This week's recipe for sausage stuffed mushrooms is just this kind of recipe!
The basic method is take a vegetable, stuff it with meat and seasoning and bake. The mix and match magic is up to you! No mushrooms? Use peppers or make zucchini boats. No sausage? Use ground beef, turkey, chicken or pork. Need seasoning help? Here's a guide to help you with your mix and match.
Chances are good that no matter what you have on hand, you can whip up a batch of these tasty morsels quickly and easily.
- 4 large portobello mushrooms (caps and stems)
- 1 1/2 pounds lean Italian sausage (loose out of the casing) (85-94% lean)
1 capful (1 Tablespoon) Stacey Hawkins Garlic & Spring Onion Seasoning or Garlic Gusto Seasoning
8 T shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (85-94% lean)
Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Gently remove the mushroom stems & wash both the caps and stems
- Chop the stems into small pieces and place in a bowl. Add the meat and seasoning to the bowl and using your hands, combine all ingredients well.
- Place the mushroom caps smooth side down on a large cookie sheet or baking tray.
- Divide the meat mixture into 4 equal parts and gently press one portion into each mushroom cap.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes & serve hot with your favorite side dishes.
Makes about 4 servings.
Recipe Notes & Optavia Counts
Serving Size is 5 ounces of meat and 1 cup of mushrooms per portion. Nutrition information and counts below use ingredients listed in the recipe. Should you make changes, please adjust counts and calories accordingly.
1 - Lean
0 - Leaner
0 - Leanest
1 - Green
2 - Condiments
0 - Healthy Fat
The mom-trepreneur FOODIE behind the brand, now 100 pounds lighter.Read stacey’s story