Crock Pot Chicken Taco Soup a Lean and Green Comfort Food Recipe
As the days get shorter and cooler, our bodies begin to crave warm, hearty foods that comfort as well as delight. Soup is the PERFECT comfort food and so this week I bring you Crock Pot Chicken Taco Soup!
Soup, according to our recent FB poll, turns out to be the #1 favorite comfort food. And why not? Warm, rich and delicious, soup warms the soul. Most soups, however, taste best after they've had some time to cook and sit, but who has time for that?
This is where the Crock Pot (aka slow cooker) comes in so handy. Just throw it all in, stir and come home to a hot, hearty dinner, done!
We love the versatility of this recipe- the base recipe gives you a meal that fits any low carb program, and then you can "top off" your soup with condiments of choice depending on your requirements.
You can use the same condiments you'd find in tacos like black olives, tortilla strips, cheese, sour cream, extra salsa, etc. You can also use no calorie / low calorie topping options like cilantro and hot sauce to give it more oomph without any thing extra. The sky is the limit!
When no one is looking, we know you're going to lick the bowl on this one so go ahead, fire up the slow cooker & report back to us on social how it came out!
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 C low sodium chicken broth
1 T (one capful) Stacey Hawkins Phoenix Sunrise Seasoning
- 1 can (~16 oz or 2 cups) diced tomatoes (no sugar added)
- 2 C shredded cabbage
- 2 C chopped zucchini or yellow squash
- 8 Tablespoons (1/2 C) reduced fat cheddar cheese
- Condiments of choice (add calories or counts separately)
- Arrange the chicken breast in one layer in the bottom of the crock pot / slow cooker.
Add chicken broth, seasoning and vegetables to a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Pour mixture over the chicken breasts, put the lid on and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker, place in a bowl and using 2 forks, shred the chicken.
- Divide the chicken into 4 equal amounts in serving bowls and top each with 1/4 of the vegetable soup.
- Garnish each with 2 T cheese, any additional garnishes and serve hot.
Recipe Notes & Optavia Counts
Serving Size is 1/4 of this dish and is 1 Leanest Lean, 0 Healthy Fats, 3 Green and 2 Condiment servings. Nutrition information below is only for the soup and no additional condiments.
This may seem like a LOT of chicken per serving- however, we must take into account a 20-25% shrinkage from raw to cooked. 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken actually nets about 28 ounces cooked, or 7 ounces per serving of fat-free chicken.
This IS a fat-free recipe which entitles you to 2 additional healthy fats. My go-to's for condiments on this would be 1 1/2 oz avocado (one healthy fat) and 2 Tbsp Sour Cream (one healthy fat) but you can choose whatever you want!
- Serving Size
- per serving
- 9 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 1.8 grams
- 155 milligrams
- 450 milligrams
- 9.7 grams
- 2.6 grams
- 5 grams
- 54.5 grams
The mom-trepreneur behind the brand, now 100 pounds lighter.
After losing 100 pounds as a foodie who REFUSED to give up really great tasting meals, Stacey now shares her products, recipes and methods to make delicious foods that get results! Whether you're looking to lose a few pounds, or just get a healthful dinner on the table every night, Stacey's products, recipes and meal making systems make it deliciously EASY to Make a Better Meal & Live a Better Life, no matter WHAT your diet!