Creamy Asparagus and Chicken Roulade
Do you pull chicken out of the freezer for dinner and stare at it, wondering what to do with it tonight?
The great thing about this lovely little meat (aside from it being full of protein, easy to cook and low in fat) is that it is like a blank canvas. There are a million and one things you can do with it, but we often get stumped. Instead of just throwing it on the grill and calling it dinner, why not try this easy little recipe that transforms basic and boring into "WOW that's delicious!"
The recipe I have below is basic and it's also completely interchangeable. I am using asparagus and Stacey Hawkins Garlic & Spring Onion Seasoning, however, you can mix and match this a bunch of different ways.
For example, you could use fresh spinach and Rockin' Ranch seasoning, or try sliced green peppers and Phoenix Sunrise seasoning. You could even go a little spicy with fresh sliced tomatoes and Kickin' Cajun Seasoning. The flavor combinations are endless, but the basic recipe remains unchanged.
As a side note, the preparation on this does take a little longer than our usual recipes, however, the active baking time gives you ample opportunity to catch up on other things :). In addition- you CAN make a double batch of these, put the rolls in the freezer and bake at a later date too! Or... if you're really pressed for time, just butterfly the chicken breast and stuff it, rather than rolling it (like in the image!)
Give these impressively easy Creamy Asparagus and Chicken Roulades a try & show off your photos on Instagram. We can't wait to see what you come up with!
1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 8 T (1/2 of an 8 oz block) light cream cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Stacey Hawkins Garlic and Spring Onion Seasoning
- 10 ounces raw asparagus (weighed after trimming ends)
- 1 pinch Stacey Hawkins Dash of Desperation Seasoning
Preheat oven to 375°
- Place chicken breast in a large zipper bag on a sturdy cutting board. (NOT directly on the counter- they can crack!) Using the back of a medium sized, heavy frying pan, hit the meat holding the pan flat and pound it until 1/4" thin.* Repeat until all pieces are thin.
- Place the cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 10 seconds until soft and spreadable. Repeat in 5 second intervals if necessary. Stir to smooth out all the lumps.
- Spread the cream cheese evenly over one side of all the chicken pieces and then sprinkle with Garlic & Spring Onion Seasoning.
- Line the asparagus up on the chicken, leaving 1/2" free at each end.
- Starting at one end, gently roll the chicken up into a "log" and place seam side down in a baking dish.
- Repeat the process until all the chicken and asparagus are used. (Note- do leave about a Tablespoon of cream cheese unused as we'll need that for the end)
- Using a rubber spatula, get the remaining cream cheese out of the bowl and place a little smear on top of each of the chicken rolls to protect them while baking. Sprinkle each with a pinch of Dash of Desperation seasoning.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and place in the center of your preheated oven.
Bake for 35 minutes, remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165° F.
- Let chicken rest for 5 minutes and then slice and serve.
Recipe Notes & Optavia Counts
Serving Size is 8.5 ounces of cooked Creamy Asparagus and Chicken Roulade.
1 - Leaner
1 - Green
2 - Condiments
1 - Healthy Fat
2 Weight Watchers Points
* If the chicken breasts are particularly thick, cut them in half through the middle before pounding. The best way to do this is to put the meat on the board, place your palm flat over the chicken to hold it still and carefully, with your knife blade parallel to the countertop, slice through the chicken.
PS- Because of the "mixed" nature of this recipe (there's no way to separate everything out to weigh and measure for accurate counts.) I've calculated the ingredients, and the final portion size all based on weight. Follow instructions carefully and you won't have to worry. ~ S
The mom-trepreneur behind the brand, now 100 pounds lighter.
After losing 100 pounds as a foodie who REFUSED to give up really great tasting meals, Stacey now shares her products, recipes and methods to make delicious foods that get results! Whether you're looking to lose a few pounds, or just get a healthful dinner on the table every night, Stacey's products, recipes and meal making systems make it deliciously EASY to Make a Better Meal & Live a Better Life, no matter WHAT your diet!