Air Fryer Steak Hack is PERFECT Every Time!
Ever wonder how world-class chefs create a perfect, thick and juicy steak? You know, the one with that crisp crust on the outside, served still sizzling... and then you cut into it and it's just the right temperature and oh-so-juicy?? 😋😋 My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
I confess, I always had some difficulty with steak. Especially thick ones (like the 2" one above). No matter how I tried, it was often overcooked, or lacked that steakhouse crust that I crave.
Well, not long ago found myself sitting across the table from Chef Jason Shenefield and decided to pick his brain. With an alphabet soup of credentials behind his name (definitely check him out on Facebook) I figured he could give me a few pointers.
Turns out, the trick is not to overthink the rather simple 3-step process.
Let the meat come to room temp and season it well. 30 minutes and liberally sprinkling Dash of Desperation does the trick! Get a cast iron pan screaming hot and then sear the steak on both sides for about 3 minutes on each side (when that awesome crust appears.) Finish it in a 350 degree oven until done.
And that's ALL.
Feeling like a young Luke in front of Yoda, I walked away humbled with my newfound knowledge. Could it really BE that simple? And could I cook just one portion and have it come out as perfect as Jason guaranteed? I decided to put it to the test.
As you'll see in the video- it did indeed come out perfect. Why? Because instead of using my big old oven, I used the air-fryer. A tiny convection oven, the air-fryer was the perfect tool (and hack) for making a steak worthy of ANY steakhouse.
“Always pass on what you have learned.” said Yoda to Luke, so I'm passing this one on to you while tipping my toque to a master.
I beg you, give this easy method a try! Whether you're cooking one smaller piece of steak, or one large enough for 2, I PROMISE you're going to LOVE this! (and thanks Chef Shenefield!!👨🏻🍳💗)
May the Fork be With You-
- Season the steak and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Spray a well-seasoned cast iron pan with nonstick cooking spray and place over high heat until just starting to smoke.
- Place the steak in the pan and let cook for about 3 minutes on each side until a thick, brown crust appears.
- Heat the air fryer (or oven) to 350 degrees. Place the steak in the center of the air fryer and cook for 10 minutes, undisturbed. Using a meat thermometer check the temperature every minute thereafter to prevent overcooking.
- Remove the steak from the air fryer and let it rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving. Temperatures are as follows: Take out at 115 degrees for rare, 135 for Medium Rare, 145 for Medium
- Slice and serve
Recipe Notes & Optavia Counts
Serving Size is 5 ounces of steak and is 1 Lean portion and 1 Condiment. Nutrition information below is for sirloin steak.
The best investment you can make for recipes such as this is an instant thermometer. Watching the temperature is truly key to keeping the steak moist, delicious and perfectly cooked.
- Serving Size
- per serving
- 8.8 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 3.3 grams
- 127 milligrams
- 93 milligrams
- 0 grams
- 0 grams
- 0 grams
- 43 grams
The mom-trepreneur FOODIE behind the brand, now 100 pounds lighter.Read stacey’s story