Dijon and Garlic Crusted Flank Steak
Flank steak, and it's cousins the skirt steak, hangar stake and flatiron steak) have made their way up the ranks of butcher shops, restaurants and recipe collections in the last few years. These often overlooked pieces of meat are incredibly flavorful and because of their thin size, cook quickly and easily. What's this a recipe for? The PERFECT Lean and Green meal!
Flank steak does have two disadvantages, however. Because it is so thin it can overcook very easily. In addition, because it is a tough, working muscle, you must cut it on a diagonal to the grain before serving. If you're not sure what that means, or how to do it, check out this great blog post.
The addition of a simple wet rub of garlic and mustard to this dish provides a tasty crust that makes for a dinner that will become a family favorite. Pair with any green veggie, salad or preferred side dish of your choice. Bon Appetite!
1 1/2 lbs. flank steak (or skirt steak, flatiron steak or hangar steak)
6 Tablespoons Dijon or grainy style mustard
- 1 pinch of salt (optional)
- Set an oven rack in the top third of the oven. Preheat broiler to high. Line a cookie sheet with foil.
- In a small bowl, combine together the mustard, seasoning and salt.
Using the tip of a sharp knife, make shallow cuts, about 1/4 inch deep across both sides of the steak in a crisscross (X) style pattern.
- Coat both sides of the steak with the mustard mixture and place in the middle of the cookie sheet.
- Broil 4-7 minutes (depending on thickness of the meat) and then turn to broil on the other side for 6-8 minutes more. For reference, a 1-inch steak will take a total of 15 minutes to reach medium-rare.
- Remove the steak from the oven and let it stand, covered loosely with foil for 5 minutes. Place on a cutting board, slice across the grain in thin strips and serve!
Recipe Notes & Optavia Counts
Serving Size is 5 ounces of beef.
1 - Lean
0 - Leaner
0 - Leanest
0 - Green
2 - Condiments
0 - Healthy Fat
- Serving Size
- per serving
- 12 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 4.9 grams
- 78 milligrams
- 136 milligrams
- .3 grams
- .2 grams
- 0 grams
- 39.7 grams
The mom-trepreneur behind the brand, now 100 pounds lighter.
After losing 100 pounds as a foodie who REFUSED to give up really great tasting meals, Stacey now shares her products, recipes and methods to make delicious foods that get results! Whether you're looking to lose a few pounds, or just get a healthful dinner on the table every night, Stacey's products, recipes and meal making systems make it deliciously EASY to Make a Better Meal & Live a Better Life, no matter WHAT your diet!